Who can volunteer?
- Teens between the ages of 13-18
- Those who can commit to volunteering for at least one semester
- Those who have permission from a parent or guardian
What do volunteers do?
- Prepare craft projects and handouts for kids’ programs
- Straighten up and dust shelves in the Children’s Library
- Help with kids’ events
- Sort book carts alphabetically and numerically
- Work at Summer Reading prize desk
- Assist with other tasks as assigned
When do volunteers work?
- Once per week for about 1.5-2 hours during the spring or fall semesters
- 2-4 times per week during the summer
- Times are based on the availability of volunteers and the needs of the library
Why should I volunteer?
- Earn community service hours
- Learn job skills and values
- Make a difference in your community
- Feel good about yourself
- Make friends and have fun!
How do I apply?
- Fill out the volunteer application and turn it in at the Information Desk on the first floor of the library.
- You will be contacted for an interview if there is a current position available.
- After the interview, accepted volunteers will attend an orientation.
Applications are accepted on a first come, first served basis. There are a limited number of positions available, and unfortunately we are not able to hire everyone who applies. If you are not accepted the first time you apply, please try again. For other volunteer opportunities, check out information about our Teen Library Advisory Board (TLAB).
Contact Keri Mills at (785) 776-4741 ext.170 or kmills@MHKLibrary.org