Interlibrary loan (ILL) is a service offered by Manhattan Public Library (MPL) to its cardholders. If you need materials, either print or audiovisual, that MPL does not own, we will try to borrow them for you from another library. We will first look for the materials at other libraries in Kansas; if the materials are not available in-state, we will continue the search nationwide, with your approval. In order to use the ILL service, your library account must be in good standing (no outstanding charges of $5.00 or more on your card). If an item you want is owned by MPL but is checked out and long overdue (3 months or more) or can’t be found after a search period, you may place an ILL request to borrow that item from another library.
In order to borrow items for our patrons through this service, Manhattan Public Library must remain in good standing with other lending libraries by honoring their rules and due dates. Please help by returning your interlibrary loan items on time.
- View instructions for ILL self-request.
- In person at the library’s Information Desk or Reference Desk
- By phone at (785) 776-4741, Ext 173 or Ext 141
- You may also E-mail us at: firstname.lastname@example.org
What is the fee?
- There is no fee for this service from library lenders within Kansas.
- Outside the state, there may be a fee charged by the lending library.
- Any fee will be approved by you; it will be charged to your library card account.
- You will be responsible for payment of this fee whether or not you choose to pick up the materials.
How long will it take to fill my ILL request?
- An ILL request to a Kansas library may take 2-3 weeks or longer to be filled.
- An out-of-state request may take 4 weeks or longer to be filled.
- You may call Interlibrary Loan at (785) 776-4741, Ext 139, or E-mail us (email@example.com) to check on the status of your request; please wait until 4 weeks after placing your request to call and check on status.
- When the item you requested arrives, it will be checked out on your card and held for you at the Circulation Desk for the period of the loan.
- After placing your request, if you find you no longer need the item, please notify us as soon as possible so we may try to cancel the request.
How long may I keep ILL materials? Can they be renewed?
- The length of time you may have the materials is determined by the lending library.
- Some items may be renewed, depending on the approval of the lending library.
- If you want to renew an item, please call (785) 776-4741, Ext 139, or E-mail Us (firstname.lastname@example.org) to request renewal 3-4 days BEFORE the due date.
Any other fines and fees?
- Overdue fines of ten cents per day are charged for most interlibrary loan materials, up to a maximum fine of $3.00. Overdue fines of $1.00 a day are charged for book kits and DVDs, up to a maximum fine of $5.00. There is a one-day grace period before fines accrue.
- Borrowers are charged a replacement cost for lost interlibrary loan items for the amount assessed by the lending library. MPL charges a $5.00 processing fee for all lost items.
- Borrowers are responsible for damage done to interlibrary loan materials while in their possession, as assessed by the lending library.
To place your own ILL requests online, you will first need to be registered with the automated ILL system. To register, call (785) 776-4741, Ext 173, or come to the library’s Information Desk and library staff will register you. Once you are registered, you will be able to place your own online ILL requests at any time.
Before you place any online ILL request:
Please search the MPL catalog to see if MPL owns the item you need. If MPL does own your item, place your request on it through the MPL catalog.
If MPL does not own the item you need:
Check the Kansas Library Catalog (KLC) to see if another library in Kansas (that is designated to be an ILL participant) owns the item you need.
Once you have registered for online ILL Self-Request:
- Go to the Kansas Library Catalog.
- Log in using your MPL card number (last seven digits only).
- In the second box, enter your 4-digit PIN number (your PIN is usually the last four digits of your telephone number).
- Click the LOGIN button to go to the main search page of the Kansas Library Catalog.
- You may click to use either the Quick Search or the Expert Search at the top of the page.
- Enter your search terms and click the Search button; this will take you to a Results page.
- Choose the resulting item that most closely matches what you need, then click on the Locations button of that item.
- If this is the item you wish to borrow, click on the Request This Item button to fill out the online request form.
- Enter your phone number, your email address, or your postal address – however you wish to be notified when your requested item arrives at MPL.
- Click on SUBMIT at the bottom of the page; this will give you a confirmation that says “Your ILL request has been submitted.”
- Sign into the Kansas Library Catalog and enter your MPL card number and pin number as requested by the site.
- Click on the “My Account” icon (a figure in a blue shirt).
- Click on “Items from Other Libraries.” A new screen will open and you will see a list of the items you have requested and their current status.